25.8.06

CHARTRES, FRANCE

I spent my first two months in Chartres. Chartres is a small town about an hour and fifteen minutes southeast of Paris. I lived there with a French family, the Charpentier's, that my father knew from his college days studying in Grenoble.

Chartres (even after 2 months living there, I'm not sure if it's pronounced shart or shart-ruh) is a very quaint town - still very old fashion and stereotypically French. All of the buildings and houses are probably the same as they were 100 years ago. There is a town square and people walk to the train station with baguettes under there arms. It is very charming.

Chartres is famous for it's gothic cathedral that dominates the skyline. Like every other cathedral in France, it is called Notre Dame. Built from 1194 to 1220, it has been declared a world heritage monument by UNESCO. It's most distinguishable features are the spires of different heights - one 349 feet tall, the other 377 feet.


The Cathedral is special to me since I walked past it everyday on the way to work. I'm not one to really comment on architecture, especially after visiting so many churches in Europe, but I do know that the stained glass and rose windows are very nice. If you are interested in going to Chartres, you must visit the cathedral and walk around surrounding area.

The people of Chartres are so proud of their city and their cathedral. They are great people, very friendly. The tourist office is located next to the cathedral and they have all the info you'll need to get a feel for Chartres.

If you'd like to meet some of the locals, stop by 20 Blvd Foch and say bonjour to the Charpentier's. They are the greatest family ever might even have their American flag on the front of their house to welcome you.

No comments: